Sunday 27 October 2013

Why can't a bicycle stand up on its own?

... because it's too tired!

When I think of my bicycle, the word that comes to mind is ‘freedom’.
I enjoyed a childhood of being able to go to school and out into town without relying on my parents driving me everywhere, or train schedules dictating when ‘home time’ was. The other major plus of my bicycle was speed. It halved the journey time for walking into town, and even when I was unfortunate enough to have to walk, I found myself drifting into the cycle lane dreaming of being on my bike (much to the annoyance of actual cyclists). 

It was interesting to watch ‘Thoroughly Modern: The Bicycle’. In the same way that I think of a bike as freeing, so it was for the Edwardians. The bicycle became available to everyone, from the working class to the affluent middle class. Sitting upright on the two-wheeled contraption allowed the rider to see the world, as I do at home as I ride standing up to look over walls and other obstacles! The countryside began to see more visitors and cycling groups became loyal to their favourite pub. The bicycles design had come a long way from the Penny-farthing, thank goodness too because I struggle on bikes with thin handlebars, let alone bikes with one massive wheel!

 Bicycles are astounding too just purely looking at the ways they can be used. Commuters from around the world now choose to cycle to work and beat the morning traffic, students make their way to school, postmen do their local round, athletes race on the roads in various global tours, and recreational riders and professionals go off-road to get the adrenalin going! 


No comments:

Post a Comment